A career as a life insurance agent begins with the HLLQP course (formerly known as the LLQP course)
Congratulations on your interest in a career as a life insurance agent; it is a fantastic industry with literally unlimited income potential. In Ontario there is a straightforward three step process to get your life insurance agent’s license that begins with the HLLQP course (formerly known as the LLQP course).
Overview: We’re listing the steps and then explaining them in detail.
Step 1: Pass the approved course for licensing (offered by REMIC). This qualifies you to write the 4 provincial licensing exams. The course was previously called the Life License Qualification Program (LLQP course) but has been changed to the Harmonized Life License Qualification Program (HLLQP course). Why? Because HLLQP providers are now offering the same course across the country. While licensing is still different in each province, the HLLQP course is the same nationwide. Once you pass this course you qualify to write the provincial licensing exam. You can take the HLLQP course (formerly known as the LLQP course or LLQP program) in the following formats:
- HLLQP course online (formerly known as the LLQP course online)
- HLLQP course in class (formerly known as the LLQP course in class)
Step 2: Pass the 4 HLLQP provincial licensing exams (formerly known as the LLQP licensing exams).
Step 3: Getting hired/sponsored by a life insurance company (REMIC offers free job placement assistance for those who need it). You can view Ontario’s licensing requirements here.
Step 4: Getting your license. Your sponsoring life insurance company will apply for your license. We’ll discuss the licensing requirements below.
Costs to become a life insurance agent / life insurance sales person
Starting your new career should cost you approximately $1,000 to $1,500. This amount consists of the HLLQP course (formerly known as the LLQP course), licensing fees and costs charged by the insurance brokerage for E & O insurance, as well as other related costs. In comparison to your unlimited income potential this a fantastic investment.
In Depth: 4 Steps to get your Life Insurance Agent’s License
Pass the regulator’s approved HLLQP course (formerly known as the LLQP course):
- There are several HLLQP course providers in Ontario. In our opinion REMIC has the least expensive and most detailed program available.
- REMIC offers the least expensive program (from $298 to $398 all in for the online program) to complete the HLLQP course. You can view the course options here
- Passing the course means passing the 4 HLLQP Online Certification Examinations. These consist of Life Insurance, Ethics and professional practice, Accident and Sickness and Segregated Funds.
- Each online examination consists of 30 multiple choice questions (except the Ethics and professional practice examination; it consists of 20 multiple choice questions). Passing the course requires scoring at least 60% per online examination. In addition students have 75 minutes to complete each exam. For more detailed information please click here.
Pass the 4 provincial HLLQP licensing exams:
- Passing the REMIC HLLQP course certifies you to write the provincial licensing course. In Ontario Durham College administers the HLLQP licensing examinations.
- The four licensing examinations are in the same format as the REMIC Certification Examinations.
- Each examination consists of 30 multiple choice questions (except the Ethics and professional practice examination; it consists of 20 multiple choice questions). Passing the course requires scoring at least 60% per examination. In addition students have 75 minutes to complete each exam. In Ontario Durham College administers all provincial licensing examinations IN PERSON.
Getting hired/sponsored by a life insurance company:
A life insurance company hiring/sponsoring you is the next step in the licensing process.
Many students will already have a sponsoring company when they decide to take the course, but if you don’t REMIC can certainly help. We have a free job bank that assists our students in finding employment.
Apply for your license:
After passing the HLLQP licensing examinations (formerly known as the LLQP) the life insurance company applies to the provincial regulator (FSCO in Ontario) for your license.
The Financial Services Commission of Ontario sets the requirements in order to become licensed after completing the HLLQP course. Click here to view them all.